GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chain Lube problem

Go down 
+5
Col
Steve
Richard Schofield
Geering
Phil Littler
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:52 am

I've a question that's been asked of me:
"I oil the chain when I park it after cleaning then a week later take it out for a run and find that I have oil spattered all over back wheel, mud guard, engine, etc etc

I then have to buy grease/oil remover and spend hours getting the cleanliness back to norm

Is there a trick to keeping chain oiled without having the mess

Oil and remover is as recomended by Shirlaws"

I've suggested the possibility of using a ScottOiler system to control the amount of oil.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Either post them here or drop me an email.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
Geering
Triumph Cub

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Phil

There are many opinions / suggestions , a bit like Tyres and Oil !

Mine is the Scottoiler , needs to be set carefully when first fitted to not over oil the chain or back wheel (you are only trying achieve a very small amount to keep the 'o' rings supple and minimal on the chain/sprockets.

The standard , vacumn model , is good for 5-750 Mls but either a tank (or as I use) a Lubetube extends this to 3000 Mls , perhaps more.......We did 3500 Mls a couple of years back without using it all and with no chain adjustment necessary even when we arrived.

There are other systems on the market including Scottoiler's own electrinic but they are all more complex so just more to go wrong.......Sad

Sure othrers will have their own suggestions ....no doubt including "get a shaftie" (thought i'd beat you to it Dan Smile )

Cheers
Allan
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Tried various systems and have finished on Spraying chain with Wurth dry lube .Best done when chain hot after run. Seems not to throw the stuff off the chain .
Back to top Go down
Steve
Honda CB90

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 4:08 pm

For cleaning - oddly ACF-50 justs wipes off chain wax / scottoiler oil, also very effective is the Auto Glym Super Resin polish.

Although expensive as a cleaning fluid, I like the ACF-50 as it leaves a clean, lubricated and rust proofed surface.
Back to top Go down
Geering
Triumph Cub

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 2:08 am

For cleaning , good old fashioned parafin does a brilliant job and also leaves a fine oil film to aid rust prevention.
(and its cheap !!!)

I remove my chain annually and brush liberally until all the links are moving freely then dry and refit but one of advantage of the Ducati (An I know some will say there aren't many Laughing ) is you dont have to split the chain to remove it which makes life straightforward.
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 am

pharis wrote:
The cheapest of household wax polish will take the oil off the wheel. I used Asda smart price stuff to clean the crap off the CBF rear wheel.
Black wheels also do a good job of hiding the mess. Laughing

Thanks for that tip....I used to use WD-40, but it shot up in price. Always like to save a few pennies (put it towards a tuturo?)
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 am

I usually clean with WD-40 after a ride out then coat with Wax ,seems to work OK for me .you could ask 100 people and i think you would get as many answers as people.
It seems to be a personal thing

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Diane
BSA Gold Star

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:09 am

How about a Scotoiler and when you misjudge the amount and your back wheel is splattered, pay or bully one of your kids into cleaning the back wheel for you? Chain Lube problem Icon_razz
I find husbands are quite handy for stuff like that as well!
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:26 am

Diane wrote:
How about a Scotoiler and when you misjudge the amount and your back wheel is splattered, pay or bully one of your kids into cleaning the back wheel for you? Chain Lube problem Icon_razz
I find husbands are quite handy for stuff like that as well!

My kids are too expensive to bribe!....besides, the crud on the rear wheel protects the Suzuki's poor finish lol! Well, thats what I keep telling myself.

I'll give the cheapo wax polish a whirl next time I'm cleaning the bike.
Back to top Go down
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Phil

I have tried loads off diffrent types of spray lubes and any of the dry or clear ones do exactly what it says on the tin ( it does not fly off) . A degreeser for cleaning I use free gratis from work .
The guys in the Busa owners web site have said that BEL - RAY chain lube is the best . I would put up a link but I dont know how ,
( try google ) LOL

By the way Diane the Busa's paint work is fine it must just be the Bandit . lol! lol!

Steve f

Last edited by steve f on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Phil

I have tried various oils but have found the Castrol Chainwax to be the best for making the least mess. I usually spray the chain when I return from a run when it is still hot and allow it to dry. This seams to work best.

As for cleaning what little does spray off the chain, I use BIG WIPES INDUSTRIAL which are excellent purchased from Makro in Altens and they clean oil, grease, paint, adhesive and lots more off just about any surface including your hands very effectively. The purchase pack is two tubs containing 80 wipes each for around £8.00 or less. I can not quite remember. Click here to see wipes

Hope this info helps

Dave
Back to top Go down
Diane
BSA Gold Star

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 am

Sandy - do you think Col's eyesight is going? Bandit's paintwork also in pristine condition, despite actually using the bike now and then.
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 am

No comment.

I find if a bike is looked after even if it is well used ,it is always in better condition than one that is hardly used but never looked after.(i fall somewhere in the middle )

Reading above posts, i see you have your Husband cleans the Bandit (he must do a good) job if the Bandit is still in good condition) Wink

Sandy
Post count Whore
Back to top Go down
Diane
BSA Gold Star

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 am

I'm working on him. Right now he does all the yucky bits where I might have a major disaster like break a nail and I generally wash them both. Apart from the wheels that is, they come under the "yucky", or if really bad, "icky" category, so that has to be a man job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chain Lube problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube problem   Chain Lube problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chain Lube problem
Page 1 of 1