GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Throttle snatch

Go down 
+5
Keith H
david m
DAN-GER
Allan Geering
Alistair
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Alistair
Fireblade
Alistair

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:41 pm

I've continued to have trouble with jerky pick up of throttle especially at lower speeds. This, combined with heavy throttle action has dampened my enthusiasm for FJR.
Dealer's view is that these are usual characteristics of the model however I've found info on FJR users forum which points to these being common complaints.
One suggestion is to fit G2 Throttle tamer from Ergonomics as this alters the length of cable being used when first opening throttle, therebye giving much more rider control. They have an interesting website showing how it works www.g2ergo.com
I'm thinking of going down this route first before considering Ian's suggestion of Power commander.
Has anyone else any experience of this system?
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:56 am

Havn't had use of the device myself but it gets good feed-back on my Ducati Forum to tame the too instant response (for some) of the V'twin so sounds like a cheaper initial idea to try.
As with Ian , I have had a good result with the Power Commander but they are best set up on a dyno so need to budget another £ 160-£ 200 for fitting/set-up and a ride to either Knockhill or the Black Isle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rorakennels.co.uk
DAN-GER
Ariel Arrow

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: THROTTLE SNATCH   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 6:13 am

Never seem to get this problem on the RT, I just engage "cruise control" and the speed is silky smooth whatever I set it to.
Keep the rubber on the road. Dan
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: THROTTLE SNATCH   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 7:42 am

Its easy solved Alistair buy a Honda CB1000.!!
I tested an FJR and it was not a problem on the test machine at Ecosse.
In the forums is the problem on all bikes or just some bikes?
Could it be a sticky or kinked throttle cable?

David
Back to top Go down
Keith H
Ariel Arrow
Keith H

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 am

When I bought my Pan, another Pan rider and I found both our bikes had some throttle snatch. He fitted a Power Commander. I saved money and practised throttle control. I demonstrate this on training to show how severe it is if not used properly. GSXR also has a point a similar snatch if not used smoothly.

Before spending money, give me a shout to see if it can be sorted by some simple 'tuning' of throttle hand.
Back to top Go down
Alistair
Fireblade
Alistair

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

Thanks for the comments.
Keith , I'll be in touch
Back to top Go down
Alistair
Fireblade
Alistair

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 am

After further research and seeing lots of comments on FJR forum on this topic, I decided to follow the very detailed description (along with step by step photos) to reduce the tension on one of the three throttle return springs.
Managed to get this job done yesterday and went for test run. What a difference ! I can now feel when the throttle is engaging. It feels like a new bike and my enthusiasm is returning - so I have made arrangements to join the happy band heading off to Moffat on Friday!!
Sorry that today's planned meet up with Keith had to be cancelled - hopefully we can arrange another day.
Back to top Go down
Alistair
Fireblade
Alistair

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 pm

I bought the FJR in August last year. It was 2yrs old and had only done 2000mls. Previous owner had hardly used it so it sat for ages in his garage. My initial "throttle snatch" problem was partly resolved by releasing one of the return springs but there were still occasions between August and December (when I added over 6000mls) when intermittent lapses of power occurred. I didn't think much about it at the time.
After this winter lay off I got going again last weekend but was troubled immediately with sudden loss of power across the rev range. Took bike into Ecosse this week and got big surprise when they phoned to say they'd found evidence of mouse activity !!
It seems the wee creature had nibbled away at foam insulation from the inside of panels and had drawn this into the air box which eventually became clogged up to the point where hardly any air got to the engine - hence the loss of power. It took Ecosse 2 hours to clear it all out !!
Not clear if the mouse activity had occurred with previous owner or in my garage. Humane traps have remained empty here so far.
Looking forward to the next run out - hoping to enjoy smooth acceleration and no power surges !!
A
Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 pm

I was wondering what the squeaking noise was clown
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
Mike Forbes
White Van Man

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Glad you got that sorted, it's so easy when some thing breaks down instead of half going.
Back to top Go down
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Ali
Its good to hear your throttle problem is amended .
I am not sure Ecosse do after market mouse traps for the FJR

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Steve
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Alistair

Glad to hear your bike is now purring on full power rather than squeeking. Keep the throttle open and that will take care of the mice in future. See you on Sunday?

Dave
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 am

Good to hear that the problem is resolved , I had a similar problem a few years back with the Ducati airbox and had to "Mouse Proof" the shed where she is kept.

Of course , if I had needed , I'm sure Ducati would have special bespoke "Ducati" mouse traps with translation from Italian to English for the mice to understand what was required - Only £ 50.00 each to you sir ! Laughing

Hope to see you all soon , bike almost back together after its winter refurb , only need to bleed the brakes , fit the body work and start her up for a "shake-down" run then it will be all go.................... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rorakennels.co.uk
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:49 am

Its a known issue...they love airboxes....Dave, you'd better check your VFR too....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/June/9-15/june1308honda-vfr800-mice-airbox/ affraid

Cheers
Col
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Throttle snatch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle snatch   Throttle snatch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle snatch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GMC - CHAT :: Technical Chat-
Jump to: