GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's this?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Diane
BSA Gold Star

What's this? Empty
PostSubject: What's this?   What's this? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:06 am

My wonderful, amazing new bike has a teeny flaw. Actually 2 flaws, there is absolutely nowhere to put my handbag. However the Gixxer also lacks a fuel gauge, although I get around it by setting one of the trip counters. In their wisdom Suzuki decided that an engine temperature gauge would be far more useful out there on the road! Does anyone know what I am supposed to do with the information other than get jealous 'cos the engine is warmer than me??!! Question
Back to top Go down
spandug
Ariel Arrow

What's this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's this?   What's this? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Diane - long time no see - hope you're doing fine and enjoying the new bike.

My Aprilia has a temperature readout on the dash and I use it for two reasons:

1. When riding under normal open road conditions the Aprilia temp is rock steady at 168degF. If this were to change and there was no easy explanation (eg really hot day) then there may be a problem with say a clogged radiator/dodgy thermostat/low coolant level that should be investigated before any damage occurs.

2. In town, when the coolant temperature rises due to stop/start/low speeds, I check the temp readout to see that the cooling fans start when I expect them to (just over 200degF in my case).

I suppose, as well, one shouldn't work the engine hard until the motor is up to temperature.

With fuel injected bikes, one of the parameters used by the ECU to ensure correct fuelling to the engine is the engine temperature so it is probably quite simple (and cheap) to relay this information to the dashboard.

With regard to no fuel guage, my Guzzi has none also but the method of always filling the tank full and zeroing the trip mileage works fine. You'll also probably have a low fuel warning light too and you soon get to know when to expect this to light continuously (on the Guzzi it's after 220Km) so this info also gives you a regular check on fuel consumption.

Regards, Ian
Back to top Go down

What's this?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GMC - CHAT :: Technical Chat-
Jump to: