GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tom Tom Sat Nav

Go down 
+2
missile
ALI B
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ALI B
Triumph Cub
ALI B

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Im thinking of changing from my Garmin Quest to a Tom Tom GPS system.
Would anyone here using Tom Tom like to comment on the Pros/cons of this system over Garmin?

Cheers, Ali.
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 pm

I use TomTom and find it easy to use with good maps. Never had a Garmin so I can't do a comparison.

Why do you want to change?
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:11 pm

I can lend you mine if you want to try a side by side test.
Back to top Go down
ALI B
Triumph Cub
ALI B

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 4:58 am

missile wrote:

Why do you want to change?

Two reasons basically.
1.I need a bigger screen area.
2.Garmin no longer support the maps used on the Quest so map updates are impossible!
(just had several e-mail conversations with Garmin-support and told them how dissapointed I was with their software support and would probably defect to TomTom)

Thanks for the offer of a loan of your TomTom,I might take you up on that when I am able to ride again.

Cheers, Ali.
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:26 am

You could try them in your car?

Then you would know which to ask Santa for a present. santa
Back to top Go down
Mike Forbes
White Van Man

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:52 am

Is this for the bike? The Garmin range lets you make up a route and transfer it to the device, as far as I know the Tom Tom does not. So if it's for leading on a Wednesday night the Garmin is better. In a car they both do what they are supposed to do. I have a Tom Tom but it's a car model only. Clear as mud really.
Back to top Go down
ALI B
Triumph Cub
ALI B

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 am

Is TomTom similar to Garmin in that you have to register the unit and software before you can download updates?
Also is it correct what Mike says about not being able to create routes on PC before transferring to Satnav?
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:27 am

OK Ali, sit down with a cuppa and a biscuit - this will take a while...

Having had both the Garmin and the TomTom, I find the Garmin much better for planning routes and following waypoints.

The TomTom software will allow you to plan a route on your PC - but (and its a BIG but) the TomTom must stick to each waypoint and it will not allow you to deviate at all, if you do you have to go back to the missed waypoint or stop and fiddle for ages with the thing to delete the waypoint from your route. That sounds ok, but in real life it is a total royal pain in the backside. The Garmin will happily let you skip points and it seems to sense that you are on/near the route and sends you off to the next waypoint in the chain without drama. The Garmin will take loads (hundreds I think) more waypoints/Viapoints too.

Registering the TomTom & the map software is required and the maps are more expensive - although they are now trying to match Garmin's lifetime map system, its based on 4 updates over 12 months - paying an annual fee of around £40, rather than a one-off. Garmin lifetime Europe map updates are currently £34.95 at Satnaveasy!

The new TomTom Urban/Urban Pro units do not have an external SD card slot - they have fixed internal memory only and these do NOT hold a full map of Europe! You are supposed to upload each "MapZone" (3 different map segments required) as you go from one to the other, fine if you always travel with a laptop & stop at the edge of each zone! The Garmin holds the full Europe maps and I have fitted a cheap 16Gb micro SD card for extra data, maps, routes and loads of MP3's for music on the move.

The top end TomTom Urban Rider Pro Europe comes with a Scala Rider mono headset - that can be a plus if you want a headset too. I bought a Sony Ericcson MW600 bluetooth thingy (£30) that does all that the headset does except make phone calls & it gives me stereo AD2P bluetooth for music from the Garmin.

I spent a fair bit of time (like, WEEKS) researching both options last year before going for the Garmin 660 as the more versatile and cheaper of the two (cheaper? but its £100 more to buy I hear you cry! - up front, yes, but the cost of the map updates over its lifetime gives it a lower whole life cost - oooh can you tell I work in Procurement!!). The 660 can be had as a refurb unit - thats what I got, all the accessories are new & the unit was factory refurbed, cost was about £330. Its never missed a beat & I even dropped it at 30mph (got a slight mark on a corner).

And finally (hey you - yes, you there at the back,...stop snoring....) Most of the routes published by fellow GMC members and indeed, off the interweb are in Garmin file format. I know you can use TYRE to sort routes for the TomTom, but its a little clunky.

Sounds like I hate TomTom, not at all, I use a Go 720 in the car and its great for that. But for the bike, I feel that the Garmin is simply the better tool for now.

There. Finished. Go have a beer, you've earned it.
Back to top Go down
ALI B
Triumph Cub
ALI B

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks for that Col,I might have to eat my words and take back what I said to Garmin-support!!!

I have actually now got the hang of Mapsource(thanks to Dave) and would prefer not to have to change from that.

I might just bite the bullet and try a Zumo(220/550/660 not sure yet) and see how it goes.

Cheers for the info, Ali
Back to top Go down
DAN-GER
Ariel Arrow

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 4:13 am

After reading all that about sat navs I found I needed a stiff drink not a cup of tea.
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 which is fine, my daugter has a 660 the only thing she has over mine is "lane ident". As for screen size it's not a problem as I dont use it as I have Blue Tooth and a helmet wired for sound. I'm also connected to my mobile only because I can, for I'll never use it. I have a cradle so I can use it in the car.
If I loan you mine amd you also get the use of Bobs you can run them side by side and make your choice. Hope this helps, Dan.
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 am

Another thing to consider - all the club routes are for the Garmin.

It may be contentious, but IMHO having a satnav on a bike is pointless. Half the fun is finding new routes to places.
Back to top Go down
Keith H
Ariel Arrow
Keith H

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 5:42 am

I have been using Garmin 660 and software for years. Dropped the 660 off its mount at speed, casing was cracked and holed, lost the battery and back plate. Too costly to repair so bought new 660. As a thought, I tried the battery and back plate on the old one and it fired up straight away!! I am still using it with gaffer tape over the broken parts and kept the new one as backup.

Given the build quality of being dropped at speed - it is robust.

Large screen of 660 is easy to see and use with gloves on - easy to use on move.

Finding locations from menus or post codes are a breeze. Local attractions, petrol stations are all there.

Lane selection - excellent to get you ready for quick changes on Dutch motorways. It makes sure you don't end up on wrong motorways.

Map Source - easy to use at home and plan routes before heading off.

Honestly can recommend this unit - travelled many miles abroad and it hasn't failed me yet.

Still use maps and route cards though when not using pre-loaded routes - any GPS system will still try to take you in unusual directions/different routes at times.
Back to top Go down
Mike Forbes
White Van Man

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 9:18 am

Well done Colin, a excellent article.
I could not have said it better myself even if I could have remembered it all, as I have had both going back to to the Street Pilot 3, the Garmin is better for a M/c.
Ali, as Colin points out, if there is a detour to the route you are stuck with the Tom Tom and end up going back to where you last were!
But you pays your money and make your choice.
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 am

Back to top Go down
ALI B
Triumph Cub
ALI B

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Cheers,had a look but no bike ones there.
Ive gone and bought a Garmin 2610 with latest maps available.Good screen size,touch screen etc and all bike mounts etc included.Only tried it in the car so far and its much more intelligent than my Quest.

Happy as a frog in a puddle!

Cheers, Ali.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tom Tom Sat Nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Tom Sat Nav   Tom Tom Sat Nav Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tom Tom Sat Nav
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GMC - CHAT :: Technical Chat-
Jump to: