GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winter storage - some advice please?

Go down 
+2
Richard Schofield
Don Jack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Don Jack
Honda CB90
Don Jack

Winter storage - some advice please? Empty
PostSubject: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 6:31 am

What with an early start to the winter curtailing getting out on the bike as often as I would like, and with it the council putting down the dreaded salt, I thought it might be a good idea to ask what precautions and hints other folks take to protect the bike from the ravages of winter.

Last year, although the bike was in the garage the aluminium was still quite badly corroded with that white residue you get, expecially behind the panels that you couldn't easily see. Easily fixed by taking everything apart, but it would have been handy to have had an inhibitor.

I bought a couple of cans of HCF-50, with a view of 'treating' the bikes but what I'm not sure of is exactly how much to use. Perhaps those of you that have used it over the winter would be good enough to give me some advice with this, on what works best for them, it would be really appreciated?

Don
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

PostSubject: Answer   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:39 am

Don Jack wrote:
What with an early start to the winter curtailing getting out on the bike as often as I would like, and with it the council putting down the dreaded salt, I thought it might be a good idea to ask what precautions and hints other folks take to protect the bike from the ravages of winter.

Last year, although the bike was in the garage the aluminium was still quite badly corroded with that white residue you get, expecially behind the panels that you couldn't easily see. Easily fixed by taking everything apart, but it would have been handy to have had an inhibitor.

I bought a couple of cans of HCF-50, with a view of 'treating' the bikes but what I'm not sure of is exactly how much to use. Perhaps those of you that have used it over the winter would be good enough to give me some advice with this, on what works best for them, it would be really appreciated?

Don

Don I presume you mean ACF-50

Have found that using ACF-50 works better if you keep it in house before using it gets thinner. I usually just put a small smear of it over any exposed parts.
I often use fuel inhibitor as well so that fuel does not Congeal .
Back to top Go down
Don Jack
Honda CB90
Don Jack

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 2:09 am

Richard, Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated.

As I had mentioned earlier, and what surprised me quite a bit was the way in which the underside of the Wing, and behind the fairings had this white residue. I have a theory that most of this is down, not to salt corrosion becasue I didn't have the bike on the road past October, but to Honda using dis-similar metals, and not protecting them properly from each other.

The early Christmas present is on its way in the shape of Oxford Heated Grips!

Thanks again

Don
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Don Jack wrote:
Richard, Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated.

As I had mentioned earlier, and what surprised me quite a bit was the way in which the underside of the Wing, and behind the fairings had this white residue. I have a theory that most of this is down, not to salt corrosion becasue I didn't have the bike on the road past October, but to Honda using dis-similar metals, and not protecting them properly from each other.

The early Christmas present is on its way in the shape of Oxford Heated Grips!

Thanks again

Don

Well you will buy a Honda . Oops forgot i had one to .

Don maybe have a look at this to im thinking of trying it.
http://www.scottoiler.com/FS365-Protector.asp
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Well I've just ordered some of the protector and the cleaner as last winter left mine in a right mess. I've looked at the pictures of the before and after but wondered how if you keep spraying this stuff on how it can possibly come off with just a wash? Anyway I'll give it a try and see how it goes.........
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
topter184
Honda CB90
topter184

PostSubject: FS 365   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi Folks,
Do any of you know if this product (FS365) is available in any retail outlets or is it just on the web? I was thinking if it was available in one of those outlets that offer club member discounts then it might be worth passing on. Just a thought.

Mike Pilgrim - my first ever post. Idea
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:45 pm

topter184 wrote:
Hi Folks,
Do any of you know if this product (FS365) is available in any retail outlets or is it just on the web? I was thinking if it was available in one of those outlets that offer club member discounts then it might be worth passing on. Just a thought.

Hi Mike - nice to see you on here. Thanks again for giving up your time on Weds night - much appreciated. Say thanks to Ann for me too as I didn't get to say bye to her - Jake was knackered!

Anyway - it's a good idea actually. FS365 is a Scottoiller product and I looked on their website for registered dealers - might be if they don't sell it they could order it - here's the link
Scottoiler dealers

Seems Shirlaws are on there as are Huntly motorcycles and PR Oil Supplies at Kininmouth - wherever that is? I see also that Hein Gericke Edinburgh are listed - so maybe the Aberdeen one could provide it? We should start to ask these local people to stock stuff we need. I've ordered the FS365 from MandP before and the protector direct from Scottoiler but would be hqppy to but it locally of the price wasn't too prohibitive - see I'm part Aberdoninan already Smile

Bugger I should have read the message properly
Back to top Go down
Keith H
Ariel Arrow
Keith H

PostSubject: FS365   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:51 am

Hein Gericke, Aberdeen sells this in 5 litre containers for about £25. I use this and 'spray it all over' as 'Enry Cooper used to say. It really works. When I get round to washing the bike, I cover everything (apart brake discs) with FS365 though try and cover disc bolts etc. with it and just leave it to dry. This means bike is protected on your next run.

You can buy it in 1L containers but is more expensive than buying in bulk. However, 1L should last a winter for most folk.

The Pan has seen 2 winters and is in good nick (even when not as well looked after as other folks bikes Embarassed ) so the FS365 does make a difference.

I only use ACF-50 in the locks and electrical components.
Back to top Go down
topter184
Honda CB90
topter184

PostSubject: Kinninmouth?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 pm

Phil,

Why Kinninmouth is on the A952 about 4 miles north of Mintlaw! Don't you remember it form the Wed night runs? Wink lol!

Trained Navigator
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:39 am

topter184 wrote:
Phil,

Why Kinninmouth is on the A952 about 4 miles north of Mintlaw! Don't you remember it form the Wed night runs? Wink lol!

Trained Navigator

LOL - I must have been going so fast I missed it
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 3:49 am

Some of us don't need to bother cleaning the bike this winter lol!
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 6:51 am

missile wrote:

You would have been a lot cheaper and a lot less painful experience buying the Fluid protector Bob.

Hope you are mending well.
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 am

You may be right, but it could have been a lot worse. I am trying to find the silver lining on a very cloudy day. sunny

My glass is half full, Bob
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 am

GET YOUR FREE 1L FS365 WONDER SPRAY!‏

I have a voucher for free spray from Hien Gerrick. PM me your e mail address and I shalll forward it to you.

My glass is 3/4 full, Bob
Back to top Go down
Keith H
Ariel Arrow
Keith H

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 am

missile wrote:

Clean a bike? What's that like................. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter storage - some advice please?   Winter storage - some advice please? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter storage - some advice please?
Page 1 of 1