GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
oldmansteve
Yamaha FS1E

Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Empty
PostSubject: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:35 am

As mentioned at the AGM.
Every year a small group of Driving Instructors in Association with Grampian Society for the Blind, organise a day at Alford transport Museum to enable the blind and visually impaired to experience driving a car in a safe enviorment, with a driving instructor at their side, to avoid any mishaps. They normally have a session of approx 10 to 15 mins going round the track.

There is also refreshments available inc BBQ, it is a very relaxed day.

As we have been doing this for a few years now we would like to try and change the format of the day.

The day would start at approx 10am and normally runs to about 4pm. You would be asked to take several Blind people on the back of your bike (if you have a spare helmet that would be great) round the track at a leisurely pace for approx 5 to 10 mins at a time. It would also be great if you had some form of Rider to pillion intercom so you could talk through the ride.

Therefore if there any Riders who are comfortable with pillion passengers and would like to get involved please contact myself on this forum via message.
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm so up for this Very Happy I've already emailed you as you know but wanted to express public support for what you are doing with this. What an amazing initiative. I'm watching the One Show on BBC 1 at the moment and they're showing a clip of a blind water skier teaching the lady presenter how to ski! How poignant.

Thanks for inviting us!
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

BUMP
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:05 am

As discussed I am looking forward to Saturday 19th of June Steve

Dave

Last edited by David M on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 am

Quote :
you would be asked to take several Blind people on the back of your bike (if you have a spare helmet that would be great)
I guess you would need several spare helmets Laughing
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 6:26 am

Well what can I say? This was a phenomenal day - the organisers were fantastic and made us all feel very welcome. The sight impaired people who attended were amazing. I can't put into words how much they appreciate the opportunity to drive a car or ride pillion on a motorcycle. One lady I gave a ride to said it was a lifelong ambition realised!
I know Dave Morris will post his own feelings but I feel sure he had as good a time as myself.

I even had the chance to drive a car with a blindfold on - just to see what it's like - JEEZ it's scary! I don't think I reached more than 10 mph all the way round. At one point I heard the instructor say "Your mate Dave is running alongside us"

All in all a fantasticly rewarding day and I've already committed to doing it next year. Even the poor weather didn't spoil the day - despite needing the heated grips on all day!

Thanks to Steve and Andrea for making us feel so welcome and for inviting us to join them in the first place.
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 11:28 am

I would just like echo what Phil has written. It was a privilege to have taken part and share in the experience of assisting Steve and Andrea and the other three drivers to give people with impaired vision the opportunity to experience what we take for granted. The smile on their faces after the ride round the track said it all. I also am looking forward to helping again next.

Dave
Back to top Go down
oldmansteve
Yamaha FS1E

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:17 am

I am really glad that both David and Phil saw what a rewarding experience it is.

And although I was very cold everyone still had a smile on there face.

Both myself and Andrea Would once again Like to thank both Phil and David for giving up there time,

having the bikes there as well as the cars made the whole day even more enjoyable for all involved.

Lets hope next year the weather is a little kinder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June   Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding for the Blind Saturday 19th June
Page 1 of 1