GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New front pads

Go down 
+4
Richard Schofield
Col
Phil Littler
steve f
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Help !!
Can anyone advise me on fitting new front brake pad on my busa PLEASE ! scratch scratch

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:23 pm

What's the problem exactly Steve? Can't get the old ones out? New ones in? Usually front brake calipers are pretty straight forward on modern bikes. If you like I could pop round to you over the weekend and take a look. Where are you staying?
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks Phil
I have not bought the pads yet I was going into shirlaws at the weekend .
I was just wondering if it would be easy enough to tackle myself .

Thanks
Steve
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Why not order them online? Be much cheaper. EBC are good and will have them here for the weekend I'm sure.

MSA DIRECT are even cheaper.

I'll be happy to help you do it - you could pop round Sat or Sun if you like?
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks again Phil
I will check out the web and will be in touch . Maybe see you Wednesday at red star if you are going .

Steve
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 am

Sheesh, need new pads already? affraid

As Phil says, its normally pretty straightforward & its cheaper to buy the pads online - along with some brake cleaner Very Happy

Don't be put off by multi piston brake setups, its all the same, just fiddly to clean.

Have you got a Haynes manual for your 'Busa? it'll cover all this stuff in detail. Like all good Aberdonians, you should get one off e-bay & save a tenner. lol!

I'd have offered my services...but Phil beat me to it.

Cheers
Col.
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:03 am

Steve
i have a disc with a copied manual and parts catalogue will try and take it out to Skene tonight.
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:10 am

Col

You cant be a real Aberdonian as they would not spend £10 Shocked ,when we can go online to carlslater.com and download over 200 manuals for absaloutly free Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 am

Sandy
I assume you mean www.carlsalter.com
Richard

sandy wrote:
Col

You cant be a real Aberdonian as they would not spend £10 Shocked ,when we can go online to carlslater.com and download over 200 manuals for absaloutly free Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:21 am

Spelling was never my strong point,and i just thought i would post something as sitting here bored in Algeria Sleep
Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:30 am

know feeling bored in Aberdeen so was going to have a look at the site you put up

sandy wrote:
Spelling was never my strong point,and i just thought i would post something as sitting here bored in Algeria Sleep
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am

Thats a great site if you need a manual but the down side is they dont have the newest bike models
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 am

sandy wrote:
Col

I normally download whatever I can find...and I usually buy a Haynes too, I like the colour piccies.... bounce

I've given the game away, being so free with my tenners! Its true! I'm no Aberdonian Shocked , I'm from the other land down under...New Zealand... cheers cheers

Cheers
Col
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 am

Col

Be careful with your loose spending, you may drag this country single handedly out of resession lol!
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am

Ideally take a look at the manual for an ideas of any problems that you can anticipate.
Copper Grease , Brake Fluid and a good torque wrench is good to have and make sure you dont need any other parts.
The new fireblade has to have new caliper bolts every time the calipers are removed for instance.
Otherwise its a simple job and sure Phil will be able to walk you through it.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
http://www.rorakennels.co.uk
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks to you all for your comments and tips .

This evening I set up the garage with light , bike on the paddock stand ,all my tools required for the job in hand . And then went to make a coffee came back out to the garage only to find the b****y bulbs had blown , off we go to Homebase for halagen bulbs .
After nearly loosing an eye and slight damage to paint work the pads are fitted and working well ( I had someone test them for me ) LOL .
So anybody wanting pads fitted to there bike I will gladly help out if my skills a required . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks again

Steve
Back to top Go down
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Nearly lost an eye and slight damage to the bikes paint ,if thats what happens when you do the brake pads ,just wait till you do an oil and filter change ,the bike will be a write off lol!
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:51 am

We need more info....nearly lost an eye? Was that from brake dust? Halogen bulb fragments?? Tripping over the paddock stand and landing on a bag of spanners Question

Glad to see you tackled it though. If you're like me, it'll give you more confidence to really screw up later. Like the time I stripped my engine to replace a knackered gearbox output shaft & put the balancer shaft in the wrong way round...the bike jumped off the centrestand at idle! affraid.

Cheers
Col.
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 am

Well done Steve !
Back to top Go down
http://www.rorakennels.co.uk
sandy
Post Count Whore
sandy

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 am

Col

Now that really would have been funny to watch Laughing
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 pm

steve f wrote:
Thanks to you all for your comments and tips .

This evening I set up the garage with light , bike on the paddock stand ,all my tools required for the job in hand . And then went to make a coffee came back out to the garage only to find the b****y bulbs had blown , off we go to Homebase for halagen bulbs .
After nearly loosing an eye and slight damage to paint work the pads are fitted and working well ( I had someone test them for me ) LOL .
So anybody wanting pads fitted to there bike I will gladly help out if my skills a required . Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks again

Steve

Steve

Should have gone to specsavers or should I say Shirlaws.......... Never mind a few more miles and maybe you will stop hanging onto the front brake lever. lol! lol! lol!

Dave
Back to top Go down
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Col wrote:
We need more info....nearly lost an eye? Was that from brake dust? Halogen bulb fragments?? Tripping over the paddock stand and landing on a bag of spanners Question

Glad to see you tackled it though. If you're like me, it'll give you more confidence to really screw up later. Like the time I stripped my engine to replace a knackered gearbox output shaft & put the balancer shaft in the wrong way round...the bike jumped off the centrestand at idle! affraid.

Cheers
Col.
OK Col
Here goes ! The implement I was using ( don't ask ) to open the pods in the caliper slipped and contacted the paint work ( slightly ) .
On top of all the F***k ups there still is a light rubbing noise from the front brakes but seems to be running freely .

Steve
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Steve

Check two things.
1. Have you a buckled disk ?
2. Are you sure you don't have a sticky piston?
3. Were the brake pads you removed evenly worn

You may need somebody to watch while you work the brake

Dave
Back to top Go down
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

DavidM wrote:
Steve

Check two things.
1. Have you a buckled disk ?
2. Are you sure you don't have a sticky piston?
3. Were the brake pads you removed evenly worn

You may need somebody to watch while you work the brake

Dave

Hi Dave
All four pistons pushed back with ease and were quite clean .
Like I said the bike rolls smoothly so I don't think the discs are buckled
I can also feel the pads moving slightly when the brake lever is pulled .

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
david m
Ariel Arrow
david m

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Sounds fine then Steve. If the disk had a buckle then you would feel I suspect some virbration when braking.
Hopefully the new ones will last longer.

How many miles has the bike done?

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New front pads Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New front pads
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GMC - CHAT :: Technical Chat-
Jump to: