GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New front pads

Go down 
+4
Richard Schofield
Col
Phil Littler
steve f
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

New front pads - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 pm

DavidM wrote:
Sounds fine then Steve. If the disk had a buckle then you would feel I suspect some virbration when braking.
Hopefully the new ones will last longer.

How many miles has the bike done?

Dave

Only 5300 miles , nise and easy miles that is .
Back to top Go down
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:00 pm

A bit of contact between pad and disc is normal on big bikes after new pads.

Buckled discs would show as feedback through the lever on braking I would think. It means there's less movement required to brake!

Just been talking to my next door neighbour - he has a Thundercat with binding front brakes - failed the MOT on it apparently - I've had a look and they are definitely binding - not just rubbing. The GTR always makes a little noise when you spin the wheel after fitting new pads - it should rectify itself after a short run. The pads will need to bed into the old discs Steve so take it easy till they do.

I've had some problems with the GTR in the past - thought for ages it was a braking problem - turned out to be wheel bearings!
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Phil Littler wrote:
A bit of contact between pad and disc is normal on big bikes after new pads.

Buckled discs would show as feedback through the lever on braking I would think. It means there's less movement required to brake!

Just been talking to my next door neighbour - he has a Thundercat with binding front brakes - failed the MOT on it apparently - I've had a look and they are definitely binding - not just rubbing. The GTR always makes a little noise when you spin the wheel after fitting new pads - it should rectify itself after a short run. The pads will need to bed into the old discs Steve so take it easy till they do.

I've had some problems with the GTR in the past - thought for ages it was a braking problem - turned out to be wheel bearings!

Thanks for that Phil
I hope its not bearings , how much damage would I cause changing them !! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 10:21 pm

steve f wrote:
DavidM wrote:
Sounds fine then Steve. If the disk had a buckle then you would feel I suspect some virbration when braking.
Hopefully the new ones will last longer.

How many miles has the bike done?

Dave

Only 5300 miles , nise and easy miles that is .

IMHO, pads ought to last longer than that. S Mac @ Eccose showed me how to check for warped discs. Easy to do, but not so easy to explain but I can show you how, if you want?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New front pads   New front pads - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New front pads
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GMC - CHAT :: Technical Chat-
Jump to: