GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tyre Feedback

Go down 
+4
Alistair
Col
steve f
Phil Littler
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Phil Littler
Norton Dominator
Phil Littler

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

Right - I think it's time we started to build up a picture of tyre info on here. How about we start to post about tyre type/mileage/price/source etc and see if we can all get an idea of what tyres are worth their salt (or rubber).

Format could be:
Bike: Make and Model
Tyres: Make/Type/Size
Mileage
Cost: Supply or Fit (on/off bike)
Source: Local or online
Price per mile (in pence)

I'll start the ball rolling:

Kawasaki 1400 GTR
Pirelli Angel ST - 190/50 ZR 17 (rear)
Silletts £110 fitted - on bike.
Equates to about 2.8 pence per mile

I've been using Dunlop Roadsmarts till last September - the front one is still a RoadSmart which has done over 6000 miles. I think that was about £90 fitted - wheel off - so that makes it about 1.3 pence per mile.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grampianmotorcycleclub.co.uk/
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Right then -
Kawasaki Z1000 ( 2008 )
Pirelli Rosso Diablo
190 / 50 zr 17 Rear
Approx 3500 miles
5000 on standard font from new

Hayabusa ( 2008 )
Pirelli Angel ST
190 / 50 zr 17 Rear
Front
Mileage unknown ( hopefully more than Phil ) just fitted
Shirlaws £ 200 front and rear fitted , wanted £113 for front only
Back to top Go down
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:11 am

I'll contribute - even though I seem to be the only Strommer on here...

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
OEM Bridgestone Trailwing 110/80 R19 V Front, OEM Bridgestone Trailwing 150/70 R17 V Rear
10,500 Miles - Front (still slightly legal when changed), 6,350 miles - Rear (still fitted, but needs changed since the Moffat Weekend)
£84 Front, £114 Rear, fitted to loose wheels.
Source: Online
Price per mile: 0.8 pence front, 1.79 pence rear

Paid £86 fitted on bike at Sillets for a Metzeler Tourance front to replace the Trailwing...hope to get more than 10,500 out of it sunny
Trailwings are nicknamed Deathwings by the V-Strom owners club for their poor handling - especially in the wet affraid
Back to top Go down
Alistair
Fireblade
Alistair

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Just had pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts fitted to FJR.
£205 fitted by Neil at Pitmedden
Last set had done 5155 miles which works out at 4p a mile !
A
affraid
Back to top Go down
Steve
Honda CB90

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:45 am

CBF1000

Some sort of Bridgestone - covered 8000 'ish miles - was not down to wear indicator, but squared off

Replaced with PR2s - so far done 6500 miles - least amount of tread left about 3mm, very little squaring off. At £210 (ride-in / ride-out) so far cost 3.2p per mile, but will be less than that as more miles will be covered before replacement happens.

Neither type of tyre lost traction, but PR2s give more confidence.

I always replace as a pair.

Fancy the Roadsmarts next time, but why change from a product I know and am happy with?
Back to top Go down
DAN-GER
Ariel Arrow

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: TYRE FEEDBACK   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 am

Due to a 2" piece of wire in back wheel it nessitated me changing the tyres on my BMW R1200Rt se.
I tried to use a puncture outfit to no avail, for a couple of reasons. The puncture outfit I tried to use after being with my bike unused for about 7 years had perished in so much the glue had set. So that's it then new tyre required and make that two as I always replace them as a pair.
Tried Phoning Neil at Pitmedden, no answer.
Tried Colin Types at Dyce, they had a rear but not a front. On the phone there was a lot of talk going on in the background I dont think they knew what they were doing as they came back with a quote of £82 that didn't seem correct to me and as they only had a rear ..forget it.
So back to Rob Sillet my usual fitter.
He said my Bridgestones had been upgraded from 020's to 023's and they will be in tomorrow's delivery. I wasn't too happy about 023's as I thought they were for sports bikes. Phoned a BMW dealer in Yorkshire I know but no answer. Next phone a tyre dealer in London who said 023's would be fine. Next day Sillets.
He was working on a R1 when I walked in with my two wheels. Glancing up he said they were POLICE wheels which wore steel braided tyres, 023s no good.
Lucky for me he had a good stock of 020's which he kept for the police bikes. 20 minutes later they were fitted and balanced leaving me £208 lighter. Thanks Rob.
Good job someone knows all about tyres, been there 21 years and it shows.
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Cargol Puncture Repair Kit   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 2:04 am

Seeing Dan's comments made me think "I've had my kit for 7 years......maybe time to replace mine ?" Laughing
Has anybody used the above kit which was featured at the Ecosse meeting ?
It seems expensive comapred to some other kits "Tyre Plugger" etc , is it worth the extra cash ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rorakennels.co.uk
Col
Ariel Arrow
Col

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:28 am

Allan Geering wrote:
Has anybody used the above kit which was featured at the Ecosse meeting ? It seems expensive comapred to some other kits "Tyre Plugger" etc , is it worth the extra cash ?

I had a troll on the interweb and its had generally good reviews. A couple of folk had the tyre go down overnight after the repair, but it seems ok. As for the expense, try get the "refill kit" which is a bunch of the plugs (on M&P for £3) and then just get your own Co2 cartridges or a compressor/fix 'n flate. Your bikes toolkit should have the pliers...

There's a video of a guy using it and it looks so simple too.

I have the Tip Top kit - same as BMW supplied with their tool kits of old. Tried it once and it was useless - and, as Ali said, reaming the tyre meant I had to buy a replacement.

I don't bother carrying a kit these days - I'll get a flat now I've said that!!

Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:04 am

Col wrote:
I don't bother carrying a kit these days - I'll get a flat now I've said that!!
Guaranteed that you will be on your own and have no signal on your mobile phone lol!
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:22 am

Thanks for the feed-back chaps , I will go for the Cargol as seems to have the process down to a simple operation.
I have used these type of kits in the past with great success (only 10 minutes late for work) so definitely worth having in my opinion unless you get mupltiple punctures...guess how I know ?
BTW , I read that it is imperative to get your bike on its centre stand (if fitted) ASAP after stopping as it is virtually impossible to achive (on your own) once the tyre has fully deflated and then you cannot work on the tyre to get it repaired.......Worth remembering.
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:53 am

Another, been there done that moment Embarassed

A fireblade does not have a centre stand confused and the bike falls over if you let the tyre go completely flat Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Allan Geering
Ariel Arrow
Allan Geering

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am

Thats not funny....
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 am

Allan Geering wrote:
Thats not funny....
. It worked out to be an expensive puncture Sad I can laugh about it now Laughing
Back to top Go down
DAN-GER
Ariel Arrow

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 4:42 am

So some more tyres for the RT at 12000 miles. Was running Brigeston 020 F&R
Now changed to 023GT's F&R Going great so far.
As for punctures, 2 of in rear. 1st one I couldnt even get the reamer in as well as the glue being dried out. 2nd, scew was on the edge of the tread and wall. Tried the plastic screw in "thingy" but the hole was elongated and it didnt work. I now carry the "tyre plugger" as well as a plastic thingy so I now have a choice although I suspect the T.P. is best. Now have plenty of gas cannisters! Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tyre Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tyre Feedback   Tyre Feedback Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyre Feedback
Page 1 of 1