GMC - CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GMC - CHAT

Communication Forum for club members.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2011 Ride Marshalls

Go down 
+2
Richard Schofield
spandug
6 posters
AuthorMessage
spandug
Ariel Arrow

2011 Ride Marshalls Empty
PostSubject: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:04 am

There was a dichotomy (IMHO) at the recent AGM on the standard of Ride Marshalling over the 2011 riding year. The Chairman, Don, thanked us for our efforts over the year in helping to provide a successful programme of Wednesday runs but this was later negated by my fellow honourable member, Mike, who was very critical of the standard of Marshalling.

As one of the Ride Marshalls in 2011 I think all members should know that being a Ride Marshall is a voluntary position and one which few club members wish to do. Due to the numbers attending the Wednesday runs, a Ride Marshall is essential to provide an organised departure from the Kingswells P&R therefore someone has to do it. Historically, members of the committee have taken on the position though nowhere in the constitution does it say this is a requirement of being on the committee. Any member of the club, therefore, can volunteer to be Ride Marshall.

My experience as Events Co-ordinator for 2011 was that no one choses to do the job and why should they? As a volunteer, you have to (1) turn up on the night whatever the weather, (2) you may be faced with organising 40+ riders some of which may be brand new to the club, (3) getting group leaders (tho' that has been a lot easier lately thanks to John Barbour, Alistair Kerr and others being willing to lead), (4) brief the group on the ride and the various safe riding rules, (5) organise teas in the Red Star (6) supervise the make up of the groups in roughly six to a leader and that space is left between groups before (7) you can breathe a sigh of relief and think about enjoying your own Wednesday run, probably as leader or back marker of the last group out.

Oh aye, and await any moans from any rider who may not be happy with your performance!

So, I would like to thank my fellow Ride Marshalls in 2011 for sticking their heads above the papapet and volunteering and I'm with Don on this one in agreeing that we were essential in helping achieve a successful riding year. I hope you will help out in 2012 and that other club members will also volunteer.

Personally, I will also volunteer but, as I get pissed off at being shouted at, I will not be shouting as a Ride Marshall. I also have some ideas to put to the committee to (hopefully) make the job easier and maybe reduce Mike's concerns.

Ian MacLean.

(PS Mike was asked to be a Ride Marshall in 2011 but declined)

Back to top Go down
Richard Schofield
Norton ES2
Richard Schofield

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:11 am

You all do a Grand job and i for one hope you all continue the good work.
And if i manage to come on any runs this year will easy let you shout at me Laughing

Take care
Richard S
Back to top Go down
missile
BSA Gold Star
missile

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:48 am

Ian,

Can I blow the whistle Laughing
Back to top Go down
ALI B
Triumph Cub
ALI B

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 10:50 am

I always thought the marshalls did a great job in difficult conditions.
No complaints from me!!!
Back to top Go down
steve f
Norton Dominator
steve f

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Well put Ian !
I am with Ian and Don on this one .
No members should be shouted at by anyone after all we are all there on a Wednesday to enjoy the Wednesday runs or any run for that matter .
I do think the committee do have some matters to discuss regarding group riding such as new members knowing the systems we use and the running orders of the groups they find there selves in .

Lets not forget we are all there for the fun .

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
Geering
Triumph Cub

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 am

steve f wrote:
Well put Ian !
I am with Ian and Don on this one .
No members should be shouted at by anyone after all we are all there on a Wednesday to enjoy the Wednesday runs or any run for that matter .
I do think the committee do have some matters to discuss regarding group riding such as new members knowing the systems we use and the running orders of the groups they find there selves in .

Lets not forget we are all there for the fun .

Cheers
Steve

My sentiments exactly.

Before anybody is entitled to criticise they should attempt to do the job (I have tried most things but am categorically useless at organising people and can provide witness's .....LOL and am pretty good at losing my way when leading as well although i dont mind if others dont........)
Members may then be less tempted to throw criticisms out at folk doing their best.
Having said that I am sure Mike was only raising issues that he felt needed addressing by the club.

Perhaps we should have a group leader assigned on the night to take the newbees only (surely only a few on most evenings?) , if there are any.

That person can then go out last after having had ample time to discuss the run and its requirements of them before setting off ?
Back to top Go down
spandug
Ariel Arrow

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Aye, Bob, you can certainly blow the whistle. But - as the Immortal Bard once said (alledgedly) "He who blaws the whistle calls the tune" are you volunteering to be a ride marshall in 2012? affraid

Ian.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2011 Ride Marshalls   2011 Ride Marshalls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2011 Ride Marshalls
Page 1 of 1